Circular Economy Implementation in Greece
The integrated LIFE project LIFE-IP CEI-Greece aims to contribute towards the implementation of the National Waste Management Plan, the National Waste Prevention Plan and the National Strategy for Circular Economy. A new concept for waste management emerges with-in this project; based on circular economy principles, promoting behavioral changes and supporting actions to increase product life cycle, convert waste into valuable resources and implement successfully the legislative framework for waste.
DAFNI network is a project beneficiary, promoting the implementation of actions and projects based on the principles of the circular economy in insular areas.
- Development and operation of five (5) integrated waste management systems implementing the waste hierarchy and the new legislative framework on waste based on the principles of circular economy (4 in isular areas: Municipalities of Tinos, Alonissos, Thira, Paros & Antiparos and 1 in a mountainous area: Municipality of Nafpaktia)
- Operation of 3 Enhanced Green Centers (EGCs) (1 in the Municipality of Thessaloniki and 2 in the Municipality of Athens) to support Reuse activities, apart from the separate collection of waste
- Development and operation of 2 integrated hazardous household waste collection and management systems (in the Municipality of Athens and in the Region of Western Macedonia)
- Full implementation of a Pay-As-You-Throw (PAYT) system in the Municipality of Vari-Voula-Vouliagmeni
- Development of a baseline for registering and monitoring food waste generation
- Development of a Platform and a Forum for monitoring and managing of food waste prevention
- Development and operation of a Recycling, Repair and Reuse (RRR) Experiential Park in the Municipality of Thessaloniki
- Development of national Circular Economy (CE) indicators and establishment of the Circular Economy Observatory
- Development of a Web-based National Circular Economy Repository
- Development of up to ten (10) new standards for secondary raw materials
- Organization of thirteen (13) regional awareness-raising events (info days)